Sunday, February 8, 2015

#1 C4T Dr. Dean Shareski

For my C4T these past two weeks, I was assigned to view and comment on Dr. Dean Shareski's blog Ideas and Thoughts. Dr. Shareski is the Community Manager for Discovery Education Canada and has spent many years as a classroom teacher and a technology consultant. He also has a Masters of Education in Communications and Technology which allows him to share his passion for technology in the classroom all around the globe. I really enjoyed reading through his blog. Dr. Shareski was inspirational in sharing a little of his personal life and beliefs, as well as giving interesting and relevant information about the benefits of technology in the classroom.
The first blog post of his that I commented on was an awesome video that Dr. Shareski had put together called 2014: My Year in Numbers. In this video, Dr. Shareski shared some great pictures of his travels, holidays, family gatherings, and teaching opportunities. He incorporated simple statistics of all the places he had traveled, the rounds of golf he played, and even a random sock drive he had participated in! It was a simple and entertaining way to share information while including technology. This presentation could easily be incorporated into any lesson plan, on any subject, and could use multiple technological resources while maintaining a fun and exciting element of creativity.
In my comment, I shared with Dr. Shareski a link to my blog, as well as our class blog so that he could see how we have used technology in our learning experience. I also told him about our class assignment and how easy it would be to use the idea of "My Year in Numbers" for multiple projects in my future classroom. I admired his family and his passion for his career. I really enjoyed this particular post.

Dr. Shareski and his family.
(Dr. Shareski and his family.)

For my second comment on Dr. Shareski's blog, I chose a post from December 19th, 2014 entitled Future Ready is Overrated. In this blog post, Dr. Shareski shares a video clip from 60 minutes on the concept of "Mindfulness". This lead him to share another video called Live Fully Now which contained so much information about how children and students are pushed to be better, do better, and reach for the next step without actually living and appreciating life. I really valued Dr. Shareski's ideas for this blog post because I know that this idea of "future ready" is a constant and distracting concept that I deal with everyday in my own life. Dr. Shareski believes that as future educators, that it is important that we tell and show our students the value of their work and life, and how to appreciate the "right now" before it is too late. In a society full of technology, sometimes we are not even aware of life as we are living it because we have the access to unlimited connectivity which can distract us from enjoying, experiencing, and appreciating life in the "here and now".
In my comment for this blog post, I showed great appreciation for that fact that teachers and educators like Dr. Shareski recognize this problem in our society today. I mentioned how I constantly feel like I'm waiting for the next step, or thinking, "if I can just get through this semester I'll feel so much better...". I really connected with Dr. Shareski on this concept because I feel overwhelmed on a daily basis and it magnificently helps when I am able to stop and just take some time to breathe and be thankful for where I am in my life at that exact moment in time. My comment must have been appreciated because Dr. Shareski actually responded to my comment on his post. He encouraged me to maintain this mindset as I continue on my path to become and educator. He said,"We'll always be in the business of preparing students but without the ability to enjoy today, it won't matter." 

This project has definitely given me hope for my future students that I will be able to guide them toward a successful path in their life, which will include the ability to use technology while still maintaining self-awareness and happiness. I believe the balance of those two things are so greatly important and can be so greatly distorted. I think that Dr. Shareski has found the great balance, and I hope that he realizes his inspiration to me in my pursuit of my career as an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment