Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blog Post #1

As I walked into the EDM310 classroom and lab for the first time, I was excited. I've heard horror stories that blossomed into triumphs of success in this course. I believe that each semester, the "fresh meat" feel intimidated and overwhelmed. I am no different! Even though my mind is frantic like a capsizing boat from the thought of HTML and blogs and even Twitter, I am still thrilled to use my creative muscles and finally enjoy an education based course that will give me the challenge that I am most certainly up for.

I have heard that EDM310 is a course different from any class that anyone has ever taken. My friends from previous semesters tell me that as long as I check the class blog daily, go to the EDM310 lab, and stay on top of my checklist, I will be successful. I have gained so much self discipline from my previous semester at South Alabama that I feel as if time management will not be a problem for me this semester. However, I do have concerns when it comes to the technology that we will be using in this class. I am not very familiar with HTML or article tags, or any other format guideline for blogs, or internet postings. I'm also overwhelmed by all the information just given to us through online documents. I feel as if every time I read the Syllabus and Blog Post Assignments, I find another rule or regulation regarding our posts, and what assignment is due when. I have began to question my sanity only slightly so far, so I assume that means I'm on the right track!

In high school, I felt as if I was mediocre student. It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I realized that I just needed a challenge! This course is right up my alley. Being able to explore my own learning process, as well as learn new teaching techniques is what I expect to gain from this course. My classes in high school primarily consisted of  the "burp back" education that Dr. Strange has described in our class syllabus. I'm looking forward to a change of pace, even from previous college classes.

As I mentioned before, the use of HTML and when to use it and how to use it (as well as other formatting guidelines) will be a challenge to me. I also have a terrible memory, so writing everything down, staying organized, and re-reading everything will have to be a main priority for me this semester. I am taking 15 hours including this class, and I do not want to leave room for error in any of my classes. Besides those issues, I am concerned that I will dedicate all my time to this class and strive for perfection which could cause some concern for attention in my other classes.
I am taking online classes this semester so I plan to spend the majority or my time in the EDM310 lab, as well as the other computer labs provided in the UCOMM building, during any down time between my classes. This will help eliminate any distractions when completing EDM310 work, or any other work for my other classes. Setting aside these hours every day will help me to stay on task and be readily available to ask for help when I so desperately need it. I also plan to expand my social networks in this classroom so that we can all benefit from the different perspectives, ideas, and challenges that we will all face during the semester.

My main questions refer to the group projects. I know we will cover all of that in class this week so I am trying not to become too anxious about the group work. I hope that I can have an open mind for the group projects and not let my previous experiences with group work define my experience for this course. I plan to keep myself informed, well rested, and curious for this entire course. I can't express enough how excited I am for the semester. We can accomplish anything we want to if we keep an open mind, be supportive of one another, and continually ask questions. I can't wait to see what the semester brings us. Good luck to all you future educators! We're going to make it!

Mary Tyler Moore. We're Gonna Make it After All



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corinne,
    Like you I also heard some horror stories going into EDM 310, some students had triumphs while others said they crash and burned. I was happy to see that you too are looking forward to a class that is not "burp back education" and looking for a challenge. I think it's a very smart idea to go ahead and set aside hours in your day and week to dedicate to EDM 310 as well as spending your time between classes in the lab. You seem to have a great plan for being successful in this class so I know you'll be fine! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete