Saturday, January 17, 2015

Practice Blog Post and Outline

1.Education background
- Theodore High School
- moved away from home; Troy University
- struggled with career path

2. Moved back to Mobile, AL
- South Alabama
- elementary education calling
- Caleb's influence on my decision

3. Teaching in the 21st Century
- outstanding technology available
- no "spoon feeding"
- teach learning skills/problem solving
- embrace our technological advantage

4. About me
- Garner (fiance)
- music (Michael Buble music video)
- family (pictures)

5. Conclusion
- include contact information



I never thought that my passion for education would take me away from the familiar coastal waters of my home town, Mobile, AL.  Graduating from Theodore High School, I started my higher education experience 300 odd miles away from home in Troy, AL at Troy University. I was a bio medical science major who honestly didn't have a clue! I never felt satisfied with my choice. I struggled in my classes and mostly felt lost in the thousands of other college students on the Troy campus.

After questioning my passion for science and more than a few semesters off from classes, I decided it was best for me to move back home to see if some fresh, salt-water air would clear my head and help me find some guidance. Months of hardships in my personal and financial life left me wandering for a cause. After being out of school for a year and losing my mom to colon cancer in that time, I decided that it was time for a change: that change led me to the University of South Alabama.

The University of South Alabama was a chance to start over, a clear mindset. I could potentially do, be, think anything that I wanted to. This is what ignited the small flame for education that had quietly flickered in my heart for years. This flicker started when my younger brother was born. Caleb was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at a young age. Even though his case was mild, it effected his learning, social, and developmental skills. Growing up in school was difficult for Caleb and he was continually misunderstood because of his mild disability. I spent many afternoons neglecting my own homework to help Caleb with his, frustrated the his teacher could not see or help him when he was in class.

Spending countless hours helping with homework, drying tears, and encouraging Caleb helped me to start that small flame that led to following my passion at the University of South Alabama. I'm only in my second semester at South Alabama, but I have fallen in love with my learning experience here and can't wait to learn and grow as an educator. This university has truly opened my heart and mind to the passion of cultivating young lives into successful adults in society. 

As an educator of the 21st century, I, as well as my classmates, have a huge task ahead. Technology is growing exponentially. Children are being exposed to more and more of this technology younger and younger. This means that information is almost limitless! Not only will my students be able to obtain this information easily, but they will absorb it quickly. Any lesson, method, or information that I offer my students, they can find it own their own through this technology! This is scary, but beautiful. In this day and time, it will be my job to not just spoon feed information, but to create an atmosphere for critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving. Challenging these children's minds to think beyond the information given to them on a computer screen, broadening their approach to problems in the classroom, and inspiring their ideas and thought processes is how we can approach learning in the 21st century. This is a fun and rewarding way of learning and growing, both as a teacher and a student. 

Besides having a passion for teaching, I also have some other hobbies and interests that I hope to incorporate into my classroom. I enjoy playing guitar and singing, although I'm no musician. My fiance is the real musician. He can play any instrument you put in front of him and he can sing his way into anyone's heart.

My fiance, Garner Wilson. 
(Garner and I)
Just a girl and her guitar. 

Even though I get a lot of slack for it, my all time favorite musician is Michael Buble. I've been to two of his performances in the last couple of years and I just really love his style, his musical arrangements, and his charisma. 

Michael Buble's show in New Orleans, LA. 
(Michael Buble's show in New Orleans, LA)

I also have two very loving yet annoying cats, Raven and Bagherra. Raven    
  (Raven)
        
Bagherra     
             (Bagherra)      

I truly enjoy spending time with mine and Garner's family. We have such a huge group of people that we love and any time spent with them is better than anything else!

Me and Garner with my Dad, Step-Mom, Grandmother, Grandfather, and Aunt


Garner's brother, two sisters, two nieces, two nephews, Mom and Dad, and of course me and Garner, at the Color Me Rad Run last year

This is just a taste of what I am passionate about and the people I love. I can't wait to get to know each of you and help build a learning community together, as well as grow as a student and educator. If you have an questions or concerns, please email me at corinneshirley0911@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment