Sunday, March 1, 2015

C4K #4 and C4K February Summaries

I look forward to my C4K every week because I love getting the chance to interact with different students from all over the country and also getting that sneak peak of what they are learning in their classrooms.

My first C4K was for Chaise in Mr. Boylen's 7th grade Literature class. He was giving a summary of a book he had just finished reading called I Funny: A Middle School Story by James Paterson. Chaise explained that I Funny was about a kid named Jamie who is in a wheel chair and left to live with his aunt and uncle after his parents die in a car crash. Jamie is apparently a cool and funny kid who tells great jokes, but still continues to get bullied at school. In my comment to Chaise about his book summary, I told him that the cover of the book made it look funny, but that his summary made the book sound some what sad. I told him I knew how Jamie must have felt not having his parents because my Mom died last year. I also asked Chaise if he had ever been bullied before and what could he do prevent bullying at his school. He had some errors, such as punctuation and capitalization, but I gave him guidance on how to correct his mistakes. I haven't heard from Chaise yet but he had quite a few comments on his blog so I assume that his classmates really like his posts.

My second C4K was for Kaleb who is in Mr. Boylen's 8th grade Language Arts class. I think Kaleb's post was my favorite C4K so far, because Kaleb and his friends Tim and Hunter put together an iMovie production of their "verb" parody to "Ice Ice Baby." I think they had some issues with their sound during the recording process, but regardless it was still awesome to be able to see their faces and be apart of what they are learning in the classroom. I told Kaleb that his video was really cool to watch and that I had noticed that he and his friends had used iMovie to make the video. I also asked him if he liked using iMovie and what kind of presentations/videos he had created before using iMovie. I know we have used iMovie in EDM310 and its really great to be able to see it being used in other classrooms all around the country.





\My third C4K was for Miranda in Ms. Leatherwood's 8th grade Language Arts class. For some reason, I am having trouble finding Miranda's post that I had commented on. Her post was called, "The Fear That I Faced" which was a story about her first day at a new school. Miranda told about how nervous and scared she was to enter into a new school without her friends. She used a lot of descriptive language, used metaphors, and gave plenty of emotion in her blog post. In the end, Miranda said that she really liked her new school because it challenged her more than her old school. She said she also liked her new school because she could really be herself instead of "trying to fit in". I told Miranda that I really enjoyed her post and that it is always better to stand out and be yourself than to try to "fit in" with the crowd. I also told Miranda that I too knew what it felt like to be the "new kid" at school because I had to go to a new school when I was her age. I think Miranda is a really great writer and should definitely keep up her blog posting.

My Final C4K was for Alyssa in Mrs. Maslowski's 10th grade class. I believe that Alyssa and her classmates were celebrating Black History Month by learning about a famous/influential African American and posting a summary about their chosen person in their blogs. Alyssa chose to talk about Jacki Robinson. Alyssa made a connection with Jackie Robinson because she plays softball and he paved the way for African Americans to have the right to play Major League Baseball. Alyssa said that she chose to celebrate Jackie Robinson's accomplishments because he had gone through so much persecution to be able to play a sport that we all love. I told Alyssa that I like the picture of Jackie Robinson that she used and that I also played softball when I was about her age. I asked her what her favorite position to play was and how long she had been playing. She did not have any errors in her post, so I complimented her on her good work.

In all of my comments, I left a link to my blog and introduced myself as a student of the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. I really enjoy reading these kids blogs and seeing how technology has been used in various classrooms in different ages and states. C4K truly inspires me to get my future classroom motivated to create a class blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment